Pease & Gustafson LLP
Municipal Law in Massena NY & Potsdam NY
Pease and Gustafson provides a full range of legal services to our municipal clients throughout St. Lawrence County and Franklin County. Our municipal law practice deals with all aspects of law that govern or relate to the powers, procedures and operations of local governments, school districts, and municipally owned utilities, including public finance, improvement districts, environmental issues, zoning and land use issues, eminent domain, and labor and employment issues. Whether as general counsel, bond counsel, or as special counsel for specific projects or matters, Pease and Gustafson attorneys can assist in all phases of municipal operations.
Pease and Gustafson attorneys regularly counsel municipalities with respect to all aspects of their cash flow and infrastructure financings, from the structuring phase through the closing of permanent financing. In doing so, the firm’s attorneys work with the financial advisors, engineers, architects, and other professionals retained by the client, as well as representatives of the Rural Development Administration, the Environmental Facilities Corporation, and other involved agencies.
Land Use and Zoning
Pease and Gustafson attorneys regularly provide service to municipalities in all aspects of land use and zoning matters. The firm’s services include:
- Assisting in preparation of master plans and drafting local statutes to implement master plans and other desired changes in local regulation.
- Providing complete guidance in complying with the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) from preparation of environmental assessment forms through issuance of negative and positive declarations, and drafting and review of environmental impact statements.
- Providing legal representation for planning boards and zoning boards to address applications and interpret local codes and state law.
- Providing assistance in dealing with regulatory requirements such as historic preservation regulations and reviews by state agencies.
- Assisting in reviewing proposals for alternative energy systems such as wind and solar. Efforts include drafting ordinances, reviewing specific proposals, and defending decisions.
Labor and Employment Law
Our labor and employment clients include public employers with both union and non-union workforces. Our attorneys represent clients in the areas of contract negotiation, dispute resolution, employee grievances, and interpretation of union contracts.
We have experience advising clients on compliance with New York State and federal laws and regulations concerning wage and hour laws, development of employment policies, employee discipline and discharge, and compliance with all other employment regulations affecting the employment relationship in New York State.